Monday, November 18, 2013

Let's get to know Dawn.

·   Hi Lovelies,
   Today I would like to introduce a fellow Diva Dawn.  I am so pleased to have her as my guest for this month.


  •       Tell us a little about yourself
I’m a New Zealander, living in Auckland which is in the North Island of New Zealand.  It’s the biggest city in New Zealand.  I live about ½ kilometre from two different beaches, so have a distraction during the summer.  I’m in my mid 50’s, have two kids (both left home) and a very patient, indulgent hubby
  •          How long have you been a card maker/scrapper & when did you start?
I started card making about 6 or 7 years ago after talking to an older lady when we both reached for a stamping magazine at the same time.  She invited me to come to one of the local stamp stores the next day(Saturday) for their monthly group…. And rest is history!!!!
 
  •          Do you follow sketches or dive right in?
I love sketches and collect them on my Pinterest board, but often just dive in.  But if I find I’m lacking some mojo I’ll go look through my sketches to get a kick start.
 
·         How many projects do you make a week?
It really varies.  Some weeks I’m on a roll and 4 or 5 will be produced (all done in the  evenings as I work full time).  Weekends I do as much as I can… and then other weeks I struggle to do 1. 
 
·         What is your favourite tool (what can't you create without) & why?
Hard one here…. I love using my Cuttlebug and have a multitude of embossing folders and dies.   I must have about 100 odd dies (OMG I hadn’t realised it was so many till I started counting!)    I also use my Scorpal to fold my card bases on most cards.  And my newest tool is my Envelope Punch.  So much fun.
 
·         How would you describe your style?
CAS or at least not too embellished.  I do like a little bit of embellishing but not too over the top.  My cards are generally a couple of layers. 
·         What about your style would you change (or not) & why?
I don’t think I would change anything.  Less is more is my motto. 
 
·         Have you been published or on a Design team - when & where?
I’ve not actually been published as such, but one of my cards got a Highly Commended in Australian Cardmaker of the Year last year, and was shown in the magazine.  I’ve been on a few Design teams and at present am on 3 DT’s as well as being one of the Die Cut Divas!  Just enough to keep me on my toes.
 
·         Describe (pictures are even better) your crafting area
A MESS!!!!!  No pictures as it’s way too messy.  I’m a very messy creator.  VERY MESSY!!!! Hubby is always onto me to tidy up…. I keep starting then get side tracked.  I’m lucky to have a whole room all to myself with a couple of desks and 3 door cupboard but still manage to spread all over the floor, under the desks, on top of the filing cabinet… you get the picture!
 
·         Do you have a blog? If not where can we see more of your fabulous creations?
Yes I do…http://dawnsworldnz.blogspot.com   and you can catch my Flickr photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/turleyfamily/ or even on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/dawn.turley.3

9 comments:

judkajudi said...

I love Dawn's work and appreciate the time she takes to encourage others. Hooray for a messy craft room!!

Arlene said...

Dawn, Love your cards - you must know! Love the way you've colored the two posted here.

Great interview too.

Barb Ghig said...

It was so much fun getting to know Dawn a little better! I have always admired her beautiful cards, and today's examples are no exception...they are just beautiful! Thanks for sharing a bit about yourself with us, Dawn!

Scrumplescrunch said...

Hello Dawn
Ha... How I can confirm that Dawn has a messy craft room...I have seen the room! But this is irrelevant when what is being produced each week is just inspiring to other card makers, congratulations Dawn on your spotlight here. Your cards look great.
Smiles:)
Sue

Kim Hall said...

Just read your wonderful interview, so nice to learn a little more about you, just love you beautiful creation!!

Loly Borda said...

I met Dawn through a Card Chain Challenge and I love her creations! But what I want to highlight here is that besides being a great artist she is a wonderful, generous person. TFS

Greta said...

Fun to read this interview with Dawn who I consider to be one of my friends, even though we've never met. I love seeing what she's come up with & she's always so sweet leaving lots of comments for others. Great cards!

Virginia L. said...

Dawn is such a gem!! I love to know more about her and can identify our similarities! What a fabulous interview!

CinnamonSally said...

Great interview Dawn, love both your cute cards!